Experienced Cerebral Palsy Attorneys in St. Louis, Missouri
At The Gogel Law Firm, our birth injury attorneys in St. Louis know there is nothing more devasting than having a baby, and learning that he or she is not completely healthy.
Unfortunately, through no fault of the parents — or the baby — your child may be diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy caused by medical malpractice.
The Centers for Disease Control estimates, due to medical errors, that approximately 10,000 children are diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy each year in the United States. This medical condition can be caused by brain damage that occurs when a baby is deprived of oxygen during delivery. In many cases, including those in Missouri, these lifelong challenges could have been prevented.
If your child has been diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy caused by a medical mistake, contact our dedicated birth injury attorneys in St. Louis today to learn more about your legal rights and options to hold the healthcare professionals who delivered your baby liable for your complete damages.
What is Cerebral Palsy?
Cerebral palsy results in numerous symptoms, including seizures, hearing or vision loss, or other disabilities that result from damage caused by abnormal or stunted development of the brain.
Common forms of Cerebral Palsy include:
- Ataxic Cerebral Palsy, which impacts balance and muscle movement that interferes with depth perception and coordination.
- Athetoid Cerebral Palsy, which impacts the ability to control muscle tension that can cause involuntary movement of the legs and arms.
- Spastic Cerebral Palsy, which impacts the transmission of nerve signals to muscles that can cause stiff and erratic movements.
- Mixed Cerebral Palsy, which may include a variety of the previously listed medical issues that do not fit into a single healthcare category.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for cerebral palsy. Instead, parents are forced to seek long-term treatment that includes physical and other therapies, drugs, and sometimes surgery.
If your child was diagnosed with cerebral palsy caused by a medical error, you should not have to pay for these long-term expenses out of pocket. Contact our skilled medical malpractice lawyers in St. Louis today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case and learn more about your legal options.
What are the Most Common Signs of Cerebral Palsy?
If your child suffered a brain injury during delivery, there are common signs and symptoms that he or she may suffer from cerebral palsy.
They include, but are not limited to:
- Developmental problems
- Difficulty walking
- Diminished reflexes
- Hearing loss
- Impaired fine and/or gross motor skills
- Impaired growth
- Learning disabilities
- Limited or impaired oral motor functioning
- Muscle weakness, spasms, or rigidity
- Physical deformity
- Poor posture
- Speech delays
- Swallowing problems
- Trouble keeping balance
- Trouble with controlling body movement
- Uncoordinated movement
If your child is suffering from cerebral palsy you believe was caused during delivery, contact our dedicated medical malpractice attorneys in St. Louis today for help investigating your case.
What are the Most Common Causes of Cerebral Palsy in Missouri?
Cerebral palsy is often the result of a medical error that occurs during the baby’s delivery.
Common causes of cerebral palsy in Missouri may include, but are not limited to:
- Improperly administered medications
- Excessive use of vacuum extraction
- Improper use of forceps
- Failure to recognize signs of fetal distress
- Failure to order a timely C-section
- Failure to act on dangerous fetal heart rate fluctuations
- Failure to treat a prolapsed cord
- Failure of timely treatment for meningitis or jaundice
- Negligence in monitoring and treating newborns
When medical malpractice is the cause of your child’s cerebral palsy, our experienced medical malpractice lawyers in St. Louis can help you pursue the physicians and other healthcare providers who failed to meet the minimum standard of care during prenatal or postnatal care that led to these devastating and lifelong injuries.
Contact Our St. Louis Cerebral Palsy Attorneys Today for a Free Case Assessment
If your child has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy, and you believe it was caused by medical malpractice, our skilled birth injury lawyers in St. Louis at the Gogel Law Firm want to help you seek justice. Contact us today to review your case by calling (314) 775-3864 or online to schedule a free consultation.
You do not have to face the medical providers, healthcare facilities, insurance representatives, or corporate attorneys alone. We are here to help you pursue real results for both your and your child’s ongoing medical needs and overall damages. Contact us now to learn more.