Winter Slip & Fall Accidents in St. Louis, Missouri
At The Gogel Law Firm, our St. Louis slip and fall accident attorneys know that the winter months in Missouri bring snow, ice, and slush that can lead to significant hazards on public and private parking lots, walkways, stairs, and entrances.
The question becomes, who is liable for a slip and fall accident with injuries when the weather is to blame?
Our personal injury attorneys in St. Louis have answers.
Here is what our Missouri residents need to know about property owners and their legal duty to provide safe premises for visitors.
What Duty of Care Do Property Owners Owe Visitors During Winter Weather in Missouri?
At The Gogel Law Firm, our St. Louis premises liability attorney knows that no one can stop the annual freezing rain, snow, and icy weather patterns Missouri sees each year.
However, when these conditions occur, property owners owe a duty of care to guests, visitors, and customers to take steps to prevent slips and falls on their property.
Simply put, business and property owners must take steps to clear snow and ice to prevent falls.
Whether the property owner or operator employs someone to clear the freezing hazards or uses sand, salt, or other preventative measures to clear the ice and snow themselves, they are expected to understand all laws governing their property.
In Missouri, that means the property owner or operator must remove snow, ice, or other freezing hazards in a reasonable way within a reasonable amount of time.
That duty begins when the property owner is aware of the snow and ice or should have known about it — typically due to a winter storm or other wintry weather in the area and is responsible to remove the snow and ice in a way that does not create new hazards.
New hazards could result from piling snow near a walkway, which allows it to cover the sidewalk or entrance to a business when it melts, later refreezing and causing additional dangerous conditions.
Determining whether a property owner is liable or at fault for a slip and fall accident in Missouri because of snow, ice, or freezing rain requires a full assessment of the conditions, the property owner’s duty of care, and the injuries that resulted.
Our skilled St. Louis personal injury lawyer can evaluate your case during a free consultation and help you navigate the legal system, so you can pursue the best financial recovery for your unique case.
What Should I Do After a Winter Slip & Fall Accident in Missouri?
If you are injured during a slip and fall accident caused by a property owner or operator’s failure to clear ice, snow, or other freezing hazards leading to their premises, you must take steps to ensure your legal rights and options are protected directly after and going forward.
- Reporting the slip and fall to the property owner or the manager of the business immediately when it occurs
- Asking eyewitnesses and bystanders for their names and contact information, so they can answer questions about the conditions and the circumstances of the slip, trip, or fall
- Taking pictures and/or videos of the accident scene, including the weather conditions, slippery floors, lack of warning signs, and/or lack of rugs inside the business
- Pursuing medical care directly after reporting the slip and fall and preserving evidence
- Keeping comprehensive notes about your accident and injuries, so the details do not get lost in the shuffle
- Avoiding conversations with the property owner or their insurance company until you speak with our skilled slip and fall accident and injury attorney in St. Louis
Contact Our Slip and Fall Accident Injury Attorneys in St. Louis For Free Consultation
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident because of ice or snow this winter in Missouri, contact our dedicated personal injury attorney in St. Louis today and allow us to review your case by calling (314) 775-3864 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.