CSF Leak Injury Attorney St Louis
At The Gogel Law Firm, our St. Louis personal injury attorney know that people can get hurt during varying incidents throughout Missouri, including those that lead to cerebrospinal fluid leaks, or CSF leaks.
A CSF leak is an escape of the fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. Experts estimate that about 90% of CSF leaks happen because of injuries. The remaining 10% happen spontaneously or for unknown reasons.
When CSF leaks are caused by another person or party’s negligence, our dedicated personal injury lawyers want to hear your story.
What are the Most Common Causes of CSF Leaks in Missouri?
Most CSF leaks are caused by injuries, including those that result from:
- Injuries to your face, head, neck, or spine, and twisting or severe whiplash caused during car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian accidents.
- Injuries from brain surgery.
- Injuries from ear, nose, and throat medical procedures.
- Injuries from medical procedures on or around your spine, such as epidural anesthesia and spinal taps.
- Penetrating injuries, including puncture or stab wounds, or gunshot wounds.
Any tear or hole in the membrane that surrounds the brain and spinal cord may allow the fluid that surrounds those organs to leak. When they do, the pressure around the brain and spinal cord drops causing significant changes in the individual’s physical and emotional well-being.
What are the Most Common Symptoms Associated with CSF Leaks?
The most common symptoms of CSF leaks include, but are not limited to:
- Balance and gait problems.
- Blurred or double vision.
- Changes in cognition or behavior.
- Changes in hearing or hearing loss.
- Dizziness or vertigo.
- Light sensitivity.
- Loss of appetite.
- Loss of sense of smell.
- Metallic taste in the mouth.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Neck or shoulder pain or stiffness.
- Pain in the back of the head.
- Ringing in the ears, called tinnitus.
- Severe to unbearable headaches.
- Swelling in the brain.
If you have suffered a CSF Leak caused by another person or party’s negligence, you may have a long road to recovery, beginning with an MRI and CT scan to determine the best medical course of action to help improve your overall well-being. In some cases, the damage may be permanent.
We can help you determine the extent of your injuries, identify who is liable for your damages, and pursue their insurance coverage for your full financial recovery.
Contact our St. Louis personal injury attorney today to review your case by calling (314) 775-3864 or online to schedule a free consultation to learn more about your legal rights and options to pursue the best outcome for your unique case.