In Need of a Drowsy Driving Accidents Lawyer in St. Louis, Missouri?
Schedule a Free Case Review With a Top Drowsy Driving Accident Attorney in St. Louis
At The Gogel Law Firm, our St. Louis auto accident attorney represents injured victims across the full range of drowsy driving accident claims. Founded by a former insurance company defense lawyer, our legal team knows exactly how these companies operate, and we use our experience to protect your rights. Hurt a crash with a drowsy driver? We can help. Contact us at our St. Louis law office today to set up a free, no-commitment consultation with a top Missouri auto accident attorney.
Drowsy Driving is Dangerous Driving (It is Also Negligent)
Fatigue dramatically undermines a person’s ability to drive safely. The National Safety Council (NSC) reports that drowsy driving is a factor in nearly 325,000 motor vehicle collisions nationwide each year. In Missouri, drivers have a general overriding legal responsibility to operate their vehicles in a safe manner. If they are too tired to do so, they should not be on the road. Some of the most common reasons why drowsy driving increases the risk of crashes include:
- Delayed Reaction Time: Fatigue slows down our reaction time, making it harder for drivers to respond swiftly to sudden road changes or unexpected events.
- Impaired Judgment: Drowsiness can cloud decision-making abilities, causing drivers to take unnecessary risks or misjudge situations on the road.
- Memory Lapses: A fatigued mind may not remember the last few minutes of driving, creating periods of “microsleep” when a driver is essentially unconscious and unaware.
- Reduced Attention Span: Drowsiness can make it difficult to concentrate, leading drivers to miss important signs, signals, or changes in traffic.
- Vision Impairment: People actually see less well when very tired. Fatigue can cause blurred or tunnel vision, making it challenging to see clearly and perceive depth accurately.
A Drowsy Driver in Missouri Can Be Held Legally Liable for a Crash
Driving drowsy is not just a reckless act. It can carry legal consequences. Missouri is an at-fault motor vehicle accident jurisdiction. The party deemed responsible for a crash is liable for the resulting damages. Drowsy or fatigued driving may be negligent driving. Indeed, a motorist who decides to operate a vehicle while overly fatigued compromises their ability to make informed decisions and react promptly to on-road situations. They are putting themselves and others at risk. If a crash happens, they can be held civilly liable.
It should be noted that Missouri employs a system known as “comparative fault.” Under this system, the fault for an accident can be shared among multiple parties. So, if a drowsy driver causes a crash, but the other involved party is found to be partially at fault—perhaps for speeding—the compensation awarded may be adjusted based on each party’s degree of responsibility. For example, if the drowsy driver is deemed 70% at fault and the other driver 30%, any compensation awarded would reflect that split.
We Help Injured Victims Secure Full and Fair Financial Compensation
Following a drowsy driving crash in St. Louis, victims need compensation to pay bills and cover their damages. At The Gogel Law Firm, we are committed to ensuring that our clients are able to access full and fair compensation to cover both economic and non-economic damages. Through a drowsy driving claim in Missouri, compensation may be available for:
- Automobile repairs or replacement;
- Emergency medical treatment;
- Hospital costs and other medical bills;
- Loss of wages and loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Long-term disability or physical disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death of a family member.
Why Rely on St. Louis Car Accident Attorney Jeremy A. Gogel?
Were you hurt in a crash with a drowsy driver? It is normal to have a lot of questions about your rights, your options, and what exactly you need to do next. Our founder Jeremy A. Gogel is a former insurance company defense lawyer who uses his unique skills, experience, and systematic knowledge to fight for the rights of victims and families. Among other things, our St. Louis auto accident attorney will:
- Hear your story and answer personal injury questions;
- Investigate your crash—gathering evidence to prove drowsy driving;
- Advocate for your rights and interests in settlement discussions; and
- Take aggressive legal action to help you maximize your financial recovery.
Contact a Drowsy Driving Accident Lawyer in St. Louis Today
At The Gogel Law Firm, our St. Louis drowsy driving accident attorney is an aggressive, experienced, and justice-focused advocate for victims and families. Were you hurt in a fatigued driver crash? We are more than ready to help. Contact our legal team now for your free, strictly confidential consultation. From our legal office in St. Louis, we handle drowsy driving accident claims throughout the entire region.