Experienced Forceps Errors and Birth Injury Attorneys in St. Louis, Missouri
At The Gogel Law Firm, our St. Louis medical malpractice attorneys know that forceps are commonly used to extract a baby from inside the mother, and are often a critical, life-saving tool in a medical emergency.
We also understand forceps errors can lead to serious birth injuries throughout Missouri when doctors or other medical professionals do not use these devices properly.
The bigger question becomes, when should medical physicians use forceps? And when is their use a mistake?
Our skilled forceps errors and birth injury attorneys in St. Louis can help provide the answers you need to pursue a medical malpractice claim in Missouri.
Here is what our clients need to know about their legal rights and options.
How Do I Know If My Physician Made a Mistake When Using Forceps During Delivery?
While not every use of forceps results in medical malpractice, there are times when negligence is a factor in their use, which can cause injuries to the mother, the baby, or both.
Some of the main factors our skilled birth injury attorneys and medical investigators ask when reviewing potential cases may include, but are not limited to:
- Did the medical physician use the forceps incorrectly? Like all medical devices, physicians and medical staff are trained to use them properly. When they fail to do so, or negligently operate the device, it can result in injuries to the mother, the baby, or both.
- Should the doctor have used the forceps device earlier? When a physician waits too long to use forceps, they could have missed the appropriate medical window that allowed them to use the device safely.
- Should the doctor have used the forceps device? Or was another medical solution — like a Cesarean section or another procedure — a better solution to help avoid injuries?
If you believe your delivering physician or another part of the medical staff improperly used forceps during the birthing process, causing injury to you or your child, contact our birth injury lawyers in St. Louis today to learn more about your legal options to hold the liable parties accountable for your full financial recovery.
What are the Most Common Injuries Associated with Forceps Use During Childbirth?
Forceps delivery complications can cause several types of birth injuries to both the mother and the child.
A forceps delivery can cause mothers to suffer:
- Blood clots in their legs or pelvis veins
- Injuries to the bladder
- Pain in the tissue between the vagina and anus, called the perineum
- Short- or long-term fecal or urinary incontinence
- Uterine rupture
- Vaginal or rectal tears
- Weakened pelvic muscles or ligaments resulting in dropped organs
Forceps delivery complications put babies at an increased risk of:
- Bleeding in the skull
- Broken bones
- Bumps or bruises on the baby’s head
- Cerebral palsy
- Cuts or lacerations on the baby’s face
- Hypoxia, or brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation
- Skull fractures
- Temporary facial muscle weakness
- Traumatic brain injuries
If you or your child suffered from any of these injuries or others during a forceps delivery, you may be eligible for financial compensation. We can help you determine your eligibility to file a birth injury medical malpractice claim in Missouri.
Contact Our Experienced Forceps Error and Birth Injury Attorneys in St. Louis, Missouri
If you or your child has suffered medical injuries from the use of forceps during childbirth, our skilled medical malpractice lawyers in St. Louis at the Gogel Law Firm want to help you seek justice. Contact us today to review your case by calling (314) 775-3864 or online to schedule a free consultation.