Medical Malpractice cases are some of the most complex and difficult types of cases for a number of reasons. Some of the main reasons include the facts that:
- These cases are extremely expensive to take to trial, and more often than not, cost in excess of $30,000.
- Jurors generally like doctors (or at least they like their doctors, and therefore, no other doctor could do wrong).
- Malpractice Insurance Companies fight these claims to the end, and, even if the insurance company is interested in settling, the doctor must consent to settle (which does not always happen).
There are generally two different types of malpractice that our St Louis Medical Malpractice Lawyer encounters. The first is when a physician actually commits an act that is wrong. Examples of this type of case include;
- a surgeon operated on the wrong body part;
- a surgical instrument is left inside the patient; or
- a doctor prescribes the wrong medication.
The other type of medical malpractice case occurs when a physician fails to do something that would be the appropriate standard of care. These are by far the more difficult of the two types of cases to prove. Examples of this type of case include;
- a doctor fails to diagnose a condition (e.g., that a lump in a breast could be malignant);
- a doctor does not properly treat a condition that a patient presents to him or her with; or
- prescribes an improper prescription drug.
In order to determine if there is negligence on behalf of the doctor, it is required that one or more medical experts are retained to review and consult with our Medical Malpractice Lawyer in St Louis.
Jeremy A. Gogel is an St Louis Medical Malpractice Attorney who can help you with your case. Call us today at 314-775-3864 or contact us online for your free Medical Malpractice Attorney consultation.