At The Gogel Law Firm, our St. Louis car accident attorney knows few things are as disappointing as getting into a traffic collision in Missouri only to realize the at-fault driver pulled away from the scene.
Unfortunately, these crashes happen more often than most people think. According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, a hit and run accident occurs every 43 seconds in the United States. Hit and run crashes accounted for approximately 737,100 in a single year, causing tens of thousands of injuries, and 2,049 fatalities.
Our St. Louis personal injury attorney also knows that if you have been injured or lost a loved one in a hit and run crash in Missouri, you still have financial recovery options — even if the negligent driver is never identified.
Why Do Drivers Leave the Scene of an Accident in Missouri?
There are multiple reasons why negligent drivers leave the scene of a crash.
They may include the driver is:
- Evading law enforcement due to existing legal trouble.
- Transporting drugs.
If you have been injured in a crash with a hit and run driver in Missouri:
- Move your vehicle to a safe spot off the road.
- Call the police and provide them with any information you have about the hit-and-run vehicle, including the make, model, color, license plate, and a physical description of the driver, if you were able to catch the details.
- Take photographs of the accident scene and any damage.
- Collect witness contact information.
- Seek medical care right away.
Contact our experienced St. Louis car accident attorney for help pursuing the financial recovery you deserve.
How Can I Pursue Financial Recovery If There is No Driver to Hold Liable for My Damages?
Missouri law requires that all motor vehicle drivers and owners maintain motor vehicle liability insurance coverage, which includes a minimum of:
- $25,000 per person for bodily injury.
- $50,000 per accident for bodily injury.
- $25,000 per accident for property.
The law also requires all drivers to have uninsured motorist coverage of $25,000 for bodily injury per person and $50,000 for bodily injury per accident. Hit-and-run drivers are considered uninsured drivers in Missouri, meaning we can file a claim under your uninsured motorist policy if the driver that hit you flees.
Contact our St. Louis personal injury attorney today to review your case by calling (314) 775-3864 or online to schedule a free consultation to learn more about your legal rights and options to pursue the best outcome for your unique case.